Home » » Building A Goalkeeper: Explosiveness and Speed, Part III

Building A Goalkeeper: Explosiveness and Speed, Part III

Written By Justin on Wednesday, April 20, 2011 | 3:23:00 PM

The physical performance aspect of goalkeeping is largely about lower body reactive movement. To that end, here's another of my favorites, the kettlebell swing. Watch the video first:



What I like about this exercise is the way it combines building explosive, reactive strength with a cardio element. Traditional squats are a great strength and mass building exercise, and as a lifetime member of the Skinny Legs Club, I include them in my training. But I feel the kettlebell swing is more directly related to athletic performance.

There's one more exercise to come in this series, and if I'm brave, I might just video myself doing it. We shall see.

2 comments:

Stretty News said...

I'm not a goalkeeper but I started a local kettlebell class Tuesday night and boy have I pains after it. I play on the right side of midfield but my manager advised me to work on my upper body strength recommending this exercise. I found it very good, no pain no game!

Justin said...

Yeah the great thing about it is it contributes to both lower body and upper body strength. Definitely hurts though!

Top